Thursday, February 26, 2009

Media English

I wasn't very clear on my first blog what I really meant about my "message." I am in a grade 11 class in Collingwood, On called Media English. The course teaches understanding of how we interpret media, how the media want us to interpret their message, and how to determine the hidden messages beneath just what we see. Media includes all forms of text, such as books, magazine articles, magazine ads, and even this blog. Other media includes music videos, TV shows, movies, television commercials, news reports, newspapers, billboards, radio, and the list goes on and on.
I want my message to be very simple. And I do not want it to be a hidden underlying meaning that you have to search for. I want my message to be easy for everyone to understand, although it may take some convincing.
I believe that You Can Save The Earth. It all starts with one little person. Myself, all on my own, have taught friends to throw their garbage in the trash can, or (an easy one) put recyclables in recycling bins, and to use that Green Bin that we have all been provided with! It is easy to make these changes and the sooner you start the bigger difference you will make. I have a magazine, a National Geographic Green Guide issue from Winter 2009, which has an article called "Green Myths" by Paul McRandle and Mary Logan Barmeyer. One myth that many people believe (that I just can't understand that they'd believe it) is that "Recycling wastes more energy than it saves." Some may say that "More energy is used to send out recycling trucks all over the county just to pick up cans and bottles and plastic containers than is used to dispose of these items." Of course, this is false. According to a 2004 study published in the International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment, overall, the energy consumed to develop new products from raw materials is at least 10 times more than the energy used by recycling collection, the actual recycling, and the transportation of the recycled goods to retailers.
So, please recycle what can be recycled and we can all help, one by one, to clean up the earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment